Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Intercambio!

Two things happened today worth mentioning.

1. I saw a great dane that looked almost identical to the one in Lady Gaga's Poker Face video. The owner was speaking English, and I really wanted to compliment him on his choice of dog, but I restrained myself.

2. I met my intercambio!!! That's someone who wants to improve their English, so we hang out and learn from each other...Spanish for half an hour, English for the other half. Her name is Reyes, and she's 27. We got coffee and she showed me around another Barrio next to the Centro (el Centro is the Barrio where I live and where my school is). She's doing something related to agriculture and engineering, and is currently nearing the end of her dissertation. She went to Granada last weekend, too, with her boyfriend, and he taught her how to ski. Today, I taught her the phrase "tie my shoes". All in all, I think she learned a lot this past week, from both her boyfriend and I. I also learned a little bit more Spanish, such as the different types of coffee you can order here. Most of the people here like their coffee in espresso form.
I think our meeting went really well, and we're supposed to hang out this weekend, and maybe watch a little flamenco since I haven't done that yet.

Also, I think my English is starting to worsen as my Spanish improves. Liz and I find ourselves asking in English, "Oh, how many years does he have?" instead of "How old is he?", as this is the literal translation from Spanish. Yep, I have twenty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment